Monday, March 30, 2020

Blog 2 - Reality TV: Is it okay?

Blog 2 - Reality TV: Is it okay?
Do you think one day we will look back and wonder why we forced toddlers to wear tiara’s and glorify the drama they and their moms endure by publicizing it to an entire nation? Should we reward neurotic, dramatic behaviors with fame and money and endorsements and public appeal? Reality TV has never appealed to me. I think I prefer entertainment that helps me forget the “real” world. The name never made sense to me, I rarely see my reality on these shows, and I don’t think these shows encourage a healthy sense of what reality should look like. 

There must be something about the stakes actually being real that makes us crave the drama more. If so, what does that say about our society? Is there a sadistic portion to the enjoyment of reality TV? I was watching an episode of the bachelor with some friends the other night. They were laughing at this girl crying about the latest drama over Peter. Everyone had a different opinion about each girl, how they acted, their appearance. It was a strange thing to observe. If several of my girl friends were into one of my guy friends, we would be judgmental and cruel to gather and discuss it. It makes me think of the ways we subconsciously judge those around us. Maybe we should do that less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorite Cartoon Character - Kim Possible

My Favorite Cartoon Character - Kim Possible Growing up, I thought high school would look a lot more like the double life of a super spy...