Fun During Quaran-times
About 2 years ago, in a rash decision, my parents drove an
hour to purchase a used ping pong table. None of us played ping pong. I guess
they thought it was time we learned or that we needed to simply play more, like
kids, and make a game of everything. They bought it in the middle of their move
from Chicago to Kansas City. Our last Easter weekend in that house, the ping
pong table was the only piece of furniture in the living room. So we played a
lot of ping pong. The game quickly became much more about trash talking. It
didn’t matter if you lost, as long as you could throw shade across the table. Anyways
this is a long-winded way of saying that competition has added a lot of fun to
my quarantine.
Ping pong has been a great game for us. Mostly because it
involves excessive trash talking. It gets us moving around even when it's too cold to go outside. My skills have not improved at all.
Our family has been rotating who cooks dinner each night. My
siblings and I are all in competition for the best meals. Not to brag, but I’m
winning. We try to out do each other on presentation, taste, difficulty of
recipe and everything in between. Making dinner is not a chore, its about
winning.
Another game we love it Secret Hitler. If you haven’t played,
I highly recommend. Its like mafia, except more complicated, and you throw wild
accusations and see what sticks. Tonight, we’re experimenting playing it on
zoom. I have some doubts.
I’m learning that you can make a game out of anything. And
it’s making these times a little lighter or overly competitive. If you have other games we should try, please let me know!
Wow! This is such a great blog! I enjoyed reading about how competitive your family is - something that I'm sure is helping you all make it through these trying times. I can relate to family competition especially with such a game as ping-pong! My brother and I used to play for hours just to see who would quit first. I'm happy you're enjoying yourself right now and I wouldn't be surprised if it all became a new normal even after this whole thing is over! :)
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this. You have a wonderful way with your narration that sounds super personal and made me understand exactly what you were saying in a more personal, endearing way. In terms of competition, I completely relate. My family is the same way. If you haven't heard of One Night Werewolf, it is similar to Secret Hitler and it is SO fun. You should check it out if you all are looking for more games!
ReplyDeleteI am a huge advocate for the sport of Ping Pong, so I'm glad that you and your family are enjoying the ping pong table. Quarantine is definitely an interesting time for everyone. It seems like your family is trying to make the most of it! Good luck in the continued cooking competition.
ReplyDeleteThis was a great blog! I used to play a lot of ping pong back in high school and it is a great sport and even better when you can trash talk people. The cooking competition is a fantastic thing, because I do the same thing with my father. Again, wonderful post.
ReplyDeleteI love how you have turned quarantine into a sort of tournament! That's so much better than sitting around watching Netflix and being bored! My family never used to play games together, but recently we've been playing board games almost every night. It's been fun to have some competition--especially when my little sister loses!
ReplyDeleteI definitely wish I loved with your family, because I would LOVE to be involved in all these competitions. Here at my house we are also very competitive, but since I'm the only child at home, it's hard to get my parents to play fun, weird games with me like I could with my sister home. I really would like to learn how to play Secret Hitler too, because that sounds legendary.
ReplyDelete