TV Comedy > Other Comedy
When I’m bored, or need a quick pick-me-up, or just
something mindless to have running in the background, its Sitcoms that I go
back to again and again. I think the best sitcoms have a good balance between
outrageous characters and outrageous situations. The continuity of characters
adds depth and perspective and emotional attachment that sketch comedy can’t
provide. When I think of the things that make me laugh the most, and the most
consistently, its sitcoms.
Some of my favorite sitcoms...
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Its in black and white, it doesn’t portray modern values,
but I think the show acts as a good bridge between what comedy in the US in the
first half of the 20th century to what comedy could become in the
second half of the 21st century. In the show, Dick Van Dyke is a
comedy writer on a weekly sketch show. This setup perfectly enables Dick Van
Dyke to be creating new sketches weekly, while maintaining his character on the
show. I love this shows use of physical comedy. Dick van Dyke had such unique
physicality in his acting and this show brought out the best in this.
This is one of my favorite bits. Here, Dick van Dyke is entertaining some guests while at his producer’s party. Sally is another writer on the show who helps him with the bit. There are some nods to slapstick humor, for a variety show, in the context of a sitcom.
This is one of my favorite bits. Here, Dick van Dyke is entertaining some guests while at his producer’s party. Sally is another writer on the show who helps him with the bit. There are some nods to slapstick humor, for a variety show, in the context of a sitcom.
Schitt’s Creek
I find that this show has humor that is original and unlike any other family-based sitcom. The show uses a fish-out-of-water structure as the wealth Rose family loses everything and is forced to move to a town called Schitt’s Creek. The characters are so strange and yet so loveable.
I find that this show has humor that is original and unlike any other family-based sitcom. The show uses a fish-out-of-water structure as the wealth Rose family loses everything and is forced to move to a town called Schitt’s Creek. The characters are so strange and yet so loveable.
Cheers
A classic. This show has consistent witty banter. It amazes me that the writers continue to come up with new content and new jokes when it seems that 98% of the scenes take place in the same setting. This show feels like your favorite spot, on your favorite couch. Its comfy, familiar, faithful, something you don’t grow tired of.
A classic. This show has consistent witty banter. It amazes me that the writers continue to come up with new content and new jokes when it seems that 98% of the scenes take place in the same setting. This show feels like your favorite spot, on your favorite couch. Its comfy, familiar, faithful, something you don’t grow tired of.
New Girl
This is a show I go back to time and time again. Quirky roommates that are so relatable. The constant struggles with being a responsible adult and living with so many people. The twists and turns of Nick and Jess’s romance.
This is a show I go back to time and time again. Quirky roommates that are so relatable. The constant struggles with being a responsible adult and living with so many people. The twists and turns of Nick and Jess’s romance.
Parks and Rec
I mean I could go on about this show. A fun workplace comedy that doubles as a political satire with heart. The endless ways each character disagrees with one another yet still manage to accomplish good for the parks system in a small town in Indiana.
I mean I could go on about this show. A fun workplace comedy that doubles as a political satire with heart. The endless ways each character disagrees with one another yet still manage to accomplish good for the parks system in a small town in Indiana.
The Office
So many great scenes, so many great characters. I think what makes this show so timeless is all the humor around menial workplace tasks. Everyone can relate to being stuck in a cubicle and feeling unsatisfied, yet this show makes it feel amusing and meaningful.
So many great scenes, so many great characters. I think what makes this show so timeless is all the humor around menial workplace tasks. Everyone can relate to being stuck in a cubicle and feeling unsatisfied, yet this show makes it feel amusing and meaningful.
Modern Family
In some ways, this sitcom revamped the structure of a family-based
sitcom. No longer was a sitcom centered around a traditional nuclear family.
Instead, this show centers around three different families with a range of
dynamics and personalities. The different setup allows this show to explore a
range of phases of life at the same time.
Brooklyn 99
This show is hilarious. I love crime shows. Add some humor? TV comedy gold. Andy Samberg plays a not-so-typical detective in Brooklyn’s 99th Precinct. Much of the humor is character based, the squad is an unusual assortment of personalities, yet they work together to fight crime. If you enjoy action movies, this show’s comedy has a lot of spoofs on common methods in the action genre.
This show is hilarious. I love crime shows. Add some humor? TV comedy gold. Andy Samberg plays a not-so-typical detective in Brooklyn’s 99th Precinct. Much of the humor is character based, the squad is an unusual assortment of personalities, yet they work together to fight crime. If you enjoy action movies, this show’s comedy has a lot of spoofs on common methods in the action genre.
Big Bang Theory
A great show that plays with the classic relationships between a nerd and the pretty girl next door. The unique characters drive the heart of this show and it explores career issues, recovering from tense family dynamics, friendships all while making physics funny.
A great show that plays with the classic relationships between a nerd and the pretty girl next door. The unique characters drive the heart of this show and it explores career issues, recovering from tense family dynamics, friendships all while making physics funny.
3rd Rock From the Sun
This includes an all star cast of John Lithgow, Jane Curtin, Kiersten Johnston, and Joseph Gordon Levitt. Its about a group of aliens who are trying to figure out what human life is all about. They discover the complexities of emotions, relationships, family, love, learning, boundaries and more.
This includes an all star cast of John Lithgow, Jane Curtin, Kiersten Johnston, and Joseph Gordon Levitt. Its about a group of aliens who are trying to figure out what human life is all about. They discover the complexities of emotions, relationships, family, love, learning, boundaries and more.
Not included, but honorable mentions: HIMYM, Friends,
Seinfeld, Arrested Development, The Goldberg’s, Blackish, That 70s Show, 30
Rock, and probably many more.





Did you see the Parks & Rec special last night? Super good - you should check it out. I wrote a blog about it too!
ReplyDelete