Friday, May 1, 2020

Uncontrollable Laughter Part 3 – Scategories

Uncontrollable Laughter Part 3 – Scategories


It’s a late night in the upstairs den of my friend Collin’s parents’ house. It’s still confusing to me that there are no basements in Texas, but that’s not important, right now. I’m surrounded by some of the best friends I’ve ever known. We’ve had the best day. One of those days where we didn’t plan anything and yet the day went perfectly. We spent the day outside at the pool and playing spike ball and simply being. We got Culver’s drivethru and that was described as “one of the most satisfying meals of my life.” That’s a direct quote. If you grew up in the Midwest, you know that there are some things only a butterburger can fix.

So, we’re in the upstairs den, in the middle of a heated game of Scategories. Normally, most of the game is about listing words in categories that start with a given letter. However, this has become a heated courtroom where everyone is judge, jury, and executioner, arguing what really constitutes “a notorious person.” You know, the typical debate topics that sharpen your mind and make you see the world a little differently.

Again, I’m in the upstairs den with my Scategories partner in crime. We’ve just been given the letter “I” and three minutes to construct the best list of twelve items. First category: States.

He leans over and whispers, “Okay. What state begins with the letter “I” besides Illinois?”
Knowing that two of the people we are playing with (myself included) are from the Land of Lincoln begin to write down Iowa and Idaho.
That’s when my trusted partner says, “Oh that’s right. There aren’t any.” He says with absolute confidence.
I break the quiet brainstorming with a burst of laughter. My partner looks at the two states he forgot existed and laughs. We could not get it back together. All the other players looked at us with confusion. We barely wrote anything else on the list.

But we got a point for Iowa. 

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful blunder. I love those moments of friendship where they say something wrong and they just stare you and you at them, waiting for them to figure it out, but they never do. They are hilarious and only ever strengthen friendships. Amazing story!

    ReplyDelete

My Favorite Cartoon Character - Kim Possible

My Favorite Cartoon Character - Kim Possible Growing up, I thought high school would look a lot more like the double life of a super spy...